Elder Millard with his mission president

Elder Millard with his mission president

Monday, March 14, 2011

Baptism!!


Hola Hola!! This week has been amazing! So as you may all know, this was the last week of the change. We found out on sat night who is leaving and who is staying. The big news is ...... drumroll please... i´m going to stay here with Elder Huaman for another change in La Ligua!! Hoorah! I´m actually really excited to stay here in La Ligua. I love it here. We have been working really hard and will have some success this change to come.

So this was super special. La Ligua, after waiting for more than a year, has finally had some baptisms!! A few days before the baptism, we were visiting the family San Martín to teach them more about Prophets, and in specific the modern day prophet Thomas S. Monson. We decided to share with them the last conference talk that he gave about Gratitude. As we were reading, they were all super interested and excited about what the talk was saying. They did not want to stop reading. In this lesson, it seemed as if they had more excitement and enthusiasm than normal. After the lesson, they explained that they had said a prayer asking Heavenly Father for something, and their prayer was answered. They really did have a different light about them and they were all super ready for their baptism. Then when friday rolled around, they were all baptized. What an incredible experience it was. Their grandpa traveled hours to come down and be the one to baptize them all. After the baptism, he came up to me, grabbed my hand, and expressed the sincerest thank you I believe I have ever recieved in my life. He expressed that for years he has been trying to help the kids come to the church, but has continually failed. He thanked me for my efforts and for helping to bring his grandchildren to the gospel of Jesus Christ. These moments are what make all the hard work worth it. The baptism was such a spiritual experience. After they were all baptized, we had the final part of the service where all the young men and young women bore their testimonies of the truth of the gospel, and expressed their support for them. Then all the leaders of the organizations, primary, YM, and YW bore their testimonies and support. It so key to have the support of the members.

On Sunday, right before sacrament meeting, I recieved notice that i would be confirming Matias. At first I was a little scared. (This was the first time in my life confirming someone member of the church and giving them the Holy Ghost). But everything went so well. I felt as if I was recieving guidance from heaven. It was such a great experience. The father of the children has assisted to the baptism and the confirmation. He is super super catholic but after having seen his kids recieve these saving ordinances, and feeling the spirit, I have seen a change in him. We will see what happens later on. I would absolutely love to see this whole family all in white again. Not for the purpose of re-baptism, but for the sealing ordinance of the temple; being sealed as a family for all eternity.

On Sunday night, we visited them again to share feelings and thoughts of what just took place. It was such a spiritual/emotional/priceless moment. We talked a little about the premortal life and how we promised them that we would find them and bring them the eternal gospel of Jesus Christ. Everyone was crying. We expressed thanks and congratulations. We have been through a lot together and to see them baptized and confirmed fills me with a joy that I cannot explain with words. I love my mission.

I have set a new goal with this ward. I am not leaving here without having made this branch more musically capable. I have been teaching some of the young men and young women how to read music on the piano. So when I leave, they will have someone to be able to play the hymns for sacrament meeting. It has actully worked out really well. I teach them a 45 minute piano lesson, they they accompany us for a few hours. It has been a great way to gain the trust and support of the branch. Everyone has more interest in accompaning us and giving us references. We have been called to serve with all that we have, and I feel a personal responsibility to leave this branch with the gift of music. Teach them how to fish instead of just giving them a fish.

Well I love you all so much and pray for you every day!

Nos vemos!" Chao!!!

Elder Millard

No comments:

Post a Comment